Letter from the Director:
Dear Parents and Students,
Thank you for considering Polar Bear Rugby Camp at Bowdoin College. My commitment to you is to provide an exceptionally rewarding learning experience that will have each camper excitedly sharing and showing what they’ve mastered to their teammates and families. Our low camper-to-coach ratio allows campers at experience levels from beginner to elite, to learn in a safe, supportive and positive environment. Through games-based learning, campers will receive professional instruction from a team of outstanding coaches who will teach and inspire them to take their game to the next level! We look forward to seeing you at camp in July 2020 on Bowdoin’s beautiful campus in the great state of Maine!
MaryBeth Mathews, Bowdoin Women’s Varsity Coach, Camp Director
- Provide inspiration, top level coaching and supervision in a successful learning environment for college women, high school and middle school girls
- Challenge and support all campers to grow in confidence and reach their full potential
- Coaching will meet or exceed the needs of new, experienced and elite high school & college athletes
- Provide 1-on-1 attention for position-specific skills with the world’s best coaches
- Develop and improve individual and team skills through games
- Develop an intellectual understanding of how to play the game
- Ensure an excellent, satisfying experience and fun for all
- If interested in learning more about a liberal arts education at Bowdoin, plan your visit to schedule a campus tour, info session & meeting with coach and team members; available to interested sophomores and juniors
- Mouth guard, water bottle
- Rugby shorts, t-shirts, and rugby shirts
- Scrumcap (optional), any base layer for hot weather comfort
- Cleats, sneakers, rugby socks and/or athletic socks, flip-flops
- Eagerness to learn and a great attitude!
- Casual attire for non-practice activities
- Bathing suit, towel (for pool)
- Sweatshirt or fleece top, sweatpants in case of cool evenings
- Sleepwear and toiletries, including sunscreen
- Portable Fan (recommended)
- Please leave all valuables at home
- Provided for you: sheets/pillow case, blanket, 2 towels and a washcloth
Campers are supervised by experienced camp staff throughout their stay, including in the residence halls. An athletic trainer is available 24/7. The camp exists for all to learn and enjoy and campers will be responsible for their behavior. PBRC reserves the right to send any camper home without refund if found to be uncooperative or detrimental to the camp for any reason.
Bowdoin College is easily accessible by car, train, bus, and air. Rides can be arranged from the Portland Jetport. Amtrak and Concord Bus Lines at Downtown Station in Brunswick are just a 3 minute walk from campus. We’re happy to meet students/campers there.